You can open my current full CV as a PDF. Here are some selected highlights:
I have an ATCL (Associate of Trinity College London) performance diploma in viola, and grade 8 ABRSM violin.
I am a member of:
- Miracle Cure, a wedding band spanning all your favourite covers plus Irish ballads, drinking songs, jigs and reels!
- Kindred Spirit, playing prog-folk-rock originals as a five-piece full band or folk songs and timeless covers as a guitar/fiddle/vocals duo
- The Mechanics, a go-anywhere acoustic roaming trio available for weddings, functions etc.
- Singer-guitarist-songwriter Zoë Wren‘s trio, on mandolin and viola
In a function band context, I have played fiddle on several occasions with Razzberry Jam and The Duffys, and depped doubling on mandolin and fiddle with Pogue Traders, the UK’s leading Pogues tribute band.
Particularly notable freelance performances include:
- Portraying a 1970 Venetian opera house violist on-screen for London Metropolitan Orchestra and ITV!
- Viola in the orchestra for Amick Productions’ Last Night of the Chiswick Proms and Last Wight of the Proms, with conductor Jonathan Butcher and guest soloist Lesley Garrett
- Viola with the Brandenburg Sinfonia and Vivace Chorus under Jeremy Backhouse for Howells’ Sir Patrick Spens, Britten’s Four Sea Interludes and Vaughan Williams’ Sea Symphony
- Viola in the 2019 UK tour of Showtime Australia’s Whitney Houston tribute production The Greatest Love of All
- Leading the Hashtag Opera orchestra for full concert performances of Donizetti’s Anna Bolena and Verdi’s Giovanna d’Arco
- Playing with Lincolnshire Chamber Orchestra for Christmas morning service at Lincoln Cathedral and concerts with Spalding and Louth Choral Societies
- Violin with Kent Sinfonia for a concert of Vaughan Williams and for Haydn’s Creation
- Playing viola in the premiere of Philip Sawyers‘ Concerto for Trumpet, Strings and Timpani (with the Surrey Mozart Players)
- Viola in Mendelssohn’s Elijah under Adrian Partington and with principals from the Philharmonia Orchestra at St John’s Smith Square
And many more!
Arranging and musical coordination
Events for which I have been involved in various ways in bringing together arrangements, transcribing for available forces, and coordinating musicians include:
- Tealeaf Productions‘ Requiems: Songs of Death, a multimedia performance involving music and bespoke projection, for which I arranged several arias and other pieces for soprano and string quartet (and played viola)
- ‘#shinyday’: an afternoon of cabaret performances with a rotating cast of singers and eight-piece band, playing about one-third original songs and the remainder jazz and musical theatre numbers, tailored to autism-related sensory hypersensitivity.
- The first live performance of The Etiquette Orchestra, a 14-piece group with strings, horns, rhythm section and vocals realising neo-soul material previously only produced via MIDI, at the Not Only Hair awards in Brighton.
- A live lounge broadcast of original material with band and strings by singer-songwriter Sebastian Vale for BBC Sussex.