You can open my current full CV as a PDF. Here are some selected highlights:
I have an ATCL (Associate of Trinity College London) performance diploma in viola, and grade 8 ABRSM violin.
I am a member of:
- Miracle Cure, a wedding band spanning all your favourite covers plus Irish ballads, drinking songs, jigs and reels!
- Kindred Spirit, playing prog-folk-rock originals as a five-piece full band or folk songs and timeless covers as a guitar/fiddle/vocals duo
- The Mechanics, a go-anywhere acoustic roaming trio available for weddings, functions etc.
- Singer-guitarist-songwriter Zoë Wren‘s trio, on mandolin and viola
In a function band context, I have played fiddle on several occasions with Razzberry Jam and The Duffys, and depped doubling on mandolin and fiddle with Pogue Traders, the UK’s leading Pogues tribute band.
Particularly notable freelance performances include:
- Portraying a 1970 Venetian opera house violist on-screen for London Metropolitan Orchestra and ITV’s Endeavour!
- Viola in the orchestra for Amick Productions’ Last Night of the Chiswick Proms and Last Wight of the Proms, with conductor Jonathan Butcher and guest soloist Lesley Garrett
- Viola with the Brandenburg Sinfonia and Vivace Chorus under Jeremy Backhouse for Howells’ Sir Patrick Spens, Britten’s Four Sea Interludes and Vaughan Williams’ Sea Symphony
- Viola in the 2019 UK tour of Showtime Australia’s Whitney Houston tribute production The Greatest Love of All
- Leading the Hashtag Opera orchestra for full concert performances of Donizetti’s Anna Bolena and Verdi’s Giovanna d’Arco
- Playing with Lincolnshire Chamber Orchestra for Christmas morning service at Lincoln Cathedral and concerts with Spalding and Louth Choral Societies
- Violin with Kent Sinfonia for a concert of Vaughan Williams and for Haydn’s Creation
And many more!
Arranging and musical coordination
Events for which I have been involved in various ways in arranging and in coordinating musicians include:
- Secret London‘s Christmas Classics by Candlelight, involving arranging an eventual total of 17 pop songs and carols for lead vocalist and nine-piece orchestra, fixing musicians, musical direction and organisation, handling the music budget and playing viola myself, for 2 performances of 80 minutes each to a combined total of over 500 audience
- Tealeaf Productions‘ Requiems: Songs of Death, a multimedia performance involving music and bespoke projection, for which I arranged several arias and other pieces for soprano and string quartet (and played viola)
- ‘#shinyday’: an afternoon of cabaret performances with a rotating cast of singers and eight-piece band, playing about one-third original songs and the remainder jazz and musical theatre numbers, tailored to autism-related sensory hypersensitivity. I arranged seven songs (some of them originals presented to me as melody lines only) and played viola.