As heard on/at: BBC Radio 4, ITV News, HRH Prog, Sofar Sounds, The Great Escape, Bearded Theory, Cadogan Hall, St John’s Smith Square, St Martin in the Fields
I’m Martin Ash, a freelance professional musician based in London, UK.
- baroque viola
- mandolin / voice / other instruments
- acoustic and electric (inc. wireless)
- orchestral (inc. choral) concerts and bumping amateur sections
- dep work
- pit bands
- weddings / functions / etc.
- screen work (miming or live audiovisual recording)
- freestyling (electric violin) over DJs / club music
- pick-up bands
- recording sessions
- all styles: classical (orchestral, chamber, etc.), baroque, musical theatre, folk, jazz (including gypsy jazz / jazz manouche), country, bluegrass, blues, pop/rock/singer-songwriter, etc.
- fluent sightreader and improviser, confident working from chords, playing by ear and writing my own parts
I have ample experience playing on minimal rehearsal (particularly in orchestras and function / wedding string quartets), and joining in with function bands for an extra Irish folk or country feel, and studio recording, including overdubbing and multitracking.
I’m also able to produce / transcribe written parts and master scores from MIDI files (anything from a solo instrument up to full orchestra!), while arranging / orchestrating for live instruments and players, and the forces you actually have available even if they’re not the same as the tracks on your demo recording, in the same process.
Elsewhere on the site and my Soundcloud page and Youtube channel, you can find samples of my work as a performer and arranger, testimonials, my CV, contact details and more. Please get in touch to discuss any potential jobs – reasonable rates assured.
My availability can be checked and inquiries made through MAS or directly.
Upcoming public performances
|Saturday 9 November||The Old Hat, Ealing||The 145s|
|11–16 November (evenings plus Saturday matinee)||Rhodes Arts Centre, Bishops Stortford||Bishops Stortford Musical Theatre Company||Jekyll & Hyde|
|Saturday 30 November||Ottershaw Social Club||Kindred Spirit|
|Saturday 14 December||Grignon Hall, Felsted||Felsted Choral Society||Finzi In terra pax
Berlioz L’enfance du Christ (excerpts)
|Saturday 21 December||The Cross Lances, Hounslow||Kindred Spirit|
|Saturday 4 January||The Dashwood Arms, Piddington, Wycombe||Kindred Spirit|
|Thursday 9 January, 7:30||Fidelio, 91-95 Clerkenwell Road, Holborn EC1R 5BX||viola and piano recital with Jo Giovani||to include
Bridge Two Pieces
and the premiere of my own sonata
|Friday 7 February, lunchtime||St George’s Church, Beckenham||viola and cello recital with Felicity Cliffe|
|Saturday 14 March||Streatham Vale Sports and Social Club||Kindred Spirit Duo||St Patrick’s night|
|Saturday 1 August, 1–3pm||Fleet Lions Beer Festival, The Harlington||Kindred Spirit|